Friday 9 January 2015

The Kryptonite Factor



Today's prompt was to weigh up whether I had more good or bad habits.  I believe that I probably do have more good ones than bad. My reasoning being that I have not become a social pariah to date. So rather than discuss habits - good or bad - any further, I started to think more in terms of personal strengths and vulnerabilities.

I think it is well worth checking in with our personal strengths on a regular basis. For me, it is all about knowing myself and keeping acquainted with who I am. In her book "The Gifts of Imperfection", Brene Brown uses the terms "superpower" and "kryptonite". Kryptonite is the behaviour pattern that unravels us. It is like a strength taken too far. For example, if a strength is to be an attentive listener, the kryptonite might be a tendency to remain silent when we need to speak up, or to become overly passive. Kryptonite is usually the reason why we feel vulnerable, negated or depleted.

I find it useful to reflect on whether and/or how my strengths have been sapped by the kryptonite factor - because you always start from the position of the strength.



No comments:

Post a Comment