Wednesday 28 November 2012

The Red Table - Haiku Mind

A round tuit. What does that look like? I know what it feels like when I don’t get around to doing something that I should have done days, weeks, months ago -  frustrated with myself.



For nearly two weeks I have been struggling with a fold-up red table that has become unstuck at one of its main struts. I use it every day, and so have spent many minutes realigning a metal rod through both struts and then replacing the unstuck strut only to have it fall apart the next time I use it.

Today, I opened my copy of “Haiku Mind” to this Gary Snyder poem:

“After weeks of watching the roof leak
I fixed it tonight
by moving a single board”.

I love both the literal and metaphorical interpretations. And so within ten minutes and a small amount of glue the table is mended.
 
Now what else do I need to get around to…







1 comment:

  1. This makes so much sense to me now you and Gary Snyder have said it. Yours and his words a single, simple thing that has huge imapct. Love this. Reminds me of the Welsh phrase 'Gwneud y pethau bychan' do the little things. I'm going to hold this in mind today. Thanks for alerting me to it

    ReplyDelete